You will find the answers here to questions about where to find information on the Swiss health system, how health insurance in organised in Switzerland, what services are available to people suffering from trauma, and much more.

Where can I find information about the health system in Switzerland?

The Swiss health system is complex and many people have questions about it. How does the health insurance fund work? Where do I go if I’m ill or have an accident? What are my rights and obligations as a patient? How do I protect myself against illnesses? The “Health Guide to Switzerland” brochure will answer these and many other questions for you and explain the Swiss health system in a way that is straightforward and easy to understand. The brochure is available in 18 languages as a free PDF download.

I have questions about the development, care, feeding and education of my young child. Where can I get advice?

Parents of infants and toddlers can contact the parental advice service for support with issues such as feeding and nutrition, care and education/parenting. You can even get help if your child cries a lot or is restless. You can visit an advice centre for this. The advisers can also visit you at home if you wish, or provide information over the telephone or online.

The municipality where you live or the Graubünden Department of Health website can provide you with information about the advice available in your region.

Where can I find information about pregnancy, contraception and sexually transmitted diseases?

Sexuelle Gesundheit Schweiz (Sexual Health Switzerland) provides expert factual information about sexual health on the multilingual website. You will find information about the sexual organs, the different contraception methods, pregnancy, miscarriages, contraception after birth, as well as protecting against infections transmitted by sexual contact.

Please contact your doctor or an advice centre for personal advice on sexual health. In Graubünden you can contact Adebar – Fachstelle für sexuelle Gesundheit und Familienplanung (Office for Sexual Health and Family Planning). The advisers can be contacted to make an appointment on 081 250 34 38 or by e-mail at Advice is free.

I have suffered traumatic experiences. Where can I get help?

War, torture, persecution and being forced to flee can have grave physical and psychological consequences for people who have been affected. Mental injuries are invisible, but they can cause great suffering and affect your daily life. You may have trouble sleeping and feel exhausted, or you may feel fearful and this may give rise to numerous physical symptoms. Some people also suffer from depression. It is important for people who are suffering from what is known as post-traumatic stress disorder to be able to talk to a specialist. You can find out more about this "Wenn das Vergessen nicht gelingt" ("When you can’t forget"), a brochure that is available in 10 languages as a free PDF download.

I underwent genital circumcision as a girl. Where can I get information and support?

Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) can have many physical and psychological consequences. Various aspects may play an important role, such as the severity of the cutting or the circumstances in which it occurred. Women who have been cut may ask themselves questions such as: What types of genital mutilation are there? I am pregnant, what does that mean for my child’s birth? I am in a lot of pain when I urinate and menstruate – where can I get help? What services will the health insurance fund pay for if I need special medical help?

It is important to know that women and girls who have been affected have a right to protection and help. These organisations can provide information, advice and support:

Network Against Female Genital Cutting/Information on female genital mutilation in various languages

The Netzwerk gegen Mädchenbeschneidung Schweiz (Network Against Female Genital Cutting Switzerland) provides lots of information on the subject of genital cutting on its website in Arabic, German, French, Italian, English, Tigrinya and Somali.

You can also make a free appointment to obtain advice. If you wish, the advice can provided anonymously and with the assistance of an intercultural interpreter. The advisers can be contacted on 041 419 23 55 or by e-mail at beratung@maedchenbeschneidung.

Adebar – Fachstelle für sexuelle Gesundheit und Familienplanung (Office for Sexual Health and Family Planning)

There is also a regional contact centre in Graubünden for women who have suffered female genital mutilation. You can contact the advisers at Adebar – Fachstelle für sexuelle Gesundheit und Familienplanung (Office for Sexual Health and Family Planning) to make an appointment on 081 250 34 38 or by e-mail at Advice is free.

Genital cutting of girls is a violation of human rights and banned in Switzerland, as it is in most countries. The ban is enshrined in the Swiss Criminal Code (Art. 124 StGB).