How you can benefit from having a good social network, how to find places to meet and socialise, where there are libraries – this website provides this information and much more.

How do I find out about the customs in Graubünden?

Different countries and regions have different rules about personal behaviour and social contact. People who arrive in a strange country have to learn and become familiar with the local customs. To do this, it can be helpful to ask yourself “What do we do in my country?” and then watch what people here do. Talking to people who have lived here for a long time can also help you to understand which rules apply here.

How does a good social network help me?

Many of us are connected to lots of other people via social media, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. For various reasons this social network can be important – for maintaining contact with family and friends in your home country, for example.

In our day-to-day lives, however, we have to rely on physical social networks and personal encounters. We create mutual trust when we meet with others, talk to them and talk about what has happened to us, our experiences and opinions. This forms the foundation for stable and sustainable relationships and networks. Such social networks can be helpful to everyone involved, in both professional and personal life. They work by give and take. An acquaintance might tell you about accommodation that has become available, for example. In turn, if this person falls ill, you might do their shopping for them.

It is also best if you have a network made up of people from a wide range of backgrounds.

How do I find places to meet and socialise?

You can meet people anywhere – when you’re shopping, at work, in your neighbourhood, when playing sport, or at the playground. Sometimes it is still difficult for refugees to make contact with Swiss people. Several organisations and associations have created places and services where refugees and Swiss people can meet and establish new social connections. Enquire in the municipality where you live about what services are available. The Fachstelle Integration (Integration Department) also provides information. You can call 081 257 26 38 or e-mail

Where can I access libraries and toy libraries?

There are public libraries in the major municipalities. You can obtain information from the municipality where you live.

University and educational institution libraries

Some of the libraries and media resources of universities and educational institutions are accessible to the public. Their websites contain detailed information about what is available and the opening times.

Kantonsbibliothek Graubünden (Grisons Cantonal Library)

The Kantonsbibliothek Graubünden (Grisons Cantonal Library) is located in Chur. As a regional library and Federal archive, it carries material on a wide range of specialist subjects, as well as classics from literature, film and music.

Stadtbibliothek Chur (Chur City Library)

Stadtbibliothek (City Library) in Chur offers a wide range of foreign language media. It is also open evenings and weekends.

Where can I find out about migrant organisations in Graubünden?

There are around 50 organisations for migrants in the canton. You can obtain information from your municipality, or from the Integration Department on 081 257 26 38, e-mail

Where can I find a summary of media for the migrant population?

There is a wealth of media aimed at the migrant population. The website by the Schweizerischen Roten Kreuzes (Swiss Red Cross) has a summary. You can search by language and media type (for example print media, web portal, radio broadcaster, TV broadcaster or Facebook). Some providers also publish their articles or programmes in several languages.

Why will joining a club help me?

Every community has numerous clubs that cater for women, men, children, young people and senior citizens.

The clubs and associations play an important part in daily life and promote contact with the people who live here. There are football clubs, chess clubs, musical societies, cultural associations, political associations, women’s associations and many others.

Being an active member of a club or association is an enjoyable and sociable way to spend your time. You will also feel good that you are doing something worthwhile. More and more immigrants are getting involved in clubs and associations, as well as native Swiss people. They will give you an opportunity to improve your knowledge of the local language and get to know people who have the same interests as you. You will gradually expand your network of contacts and feel more at home in the community or district.

Clubs and associations are open to anyone who shares the same interest. Make enquiries at your municipality about the clubs that are available and their contact details. Many municipalities also publish a list of clubs and associations on the Internet.

I feel as though I am being discriminated against because of where I come from, the colour of my skin, my religion, lifestyle or language. Where can I get advice?

Racial discrimination can occur in all areas of life, for example at work, in your local area, in healthcare, in public, or in contact with the authorities. The Fachstelle Integration (Integration Department) is the cantonal point of contact for questions concerning racial discrimination and provides information, advice and mediation services. Contact us on 081 257 26 38, e-mail